Chichen Itza is a great location to combine sight-seeing with birding. It is one of the best known and most spectacular location for Mayan ruins. Plan on
staying the night somewhere near the ruins - some good hotels are listed below. The ruins open at 8 a.m., so get an early start and beat the crowds.
The road leading to the ruins is great for birding in the early morning. The sidewalks are broad enough to walk on and
the birding can be quite good. The surroundings of the hotels are also very good for birding. Some birds that you might see are Turquoise-browed Motmot, Groove-billed Ani, Social Flycatcher, Black-headed Saltator, and Melodius Blackbird.
- Ebird page for the Chichen Itza Hotspot ...link
- A list of the birds found at Chicken Itza
- A Guide to Chichen Itza Archaeological Park with good general information for tourists.
- Wikipedia entry for Chichen Itza.
- Some basic facts
- A nice layout map of the Archaeological Park.